It’s My Birthday: 39 Things I Want to Do
Just yesterday I had someone say, “Oh, I’m sorry,” in response to my 39th birthday today. My reply?
“I never care about the number, I’m just happy to eat cake!” And that’s the darn truth. I’ve never really cared too much about the number. My grandmother used to say, “Honey, the calendar may say I’m old, but I still feel 16.” It’s all a matter of perspective, I think.
You can ask my own mom, I have always loved birthdays. I think it might be the Gemini in me. We do love a good party.
Last year, I shared 38 things I wanted to do for my birthday year. Today, I’d like to share my new list (tomorrow I’ll let you know how I did with my 38!). As I close out the 30’s decade, it’s been a good one. I gave birth to four more babies, moved twice, went to Italy and France, endured a NICU stay, partied (a lot), changed parishes four times and finally started writing that book. I’m living this decade up right. Here’s to a spectacular 39th year of life.
1. Attend Daily Mass once a month.
2. Figure out HootSuite.
3. Form a spiritual board of directors. (My good buddy Lisa did this and it is a brilliant idea.)
4. Plan a weekend getaway with my husband.
5. Finish my book. Aw yeah, I’ve started chapter one so that’s something, right?!
6. Clean out my craft closet.
7. Lose 10 pounds.
8. Run once a week.
9. Find a spiritual director.
10. Pray with Scott.
11. Limit my time on social media.
12. Cross “surgery at Dell” off my list. Permanently.
13. Attend Vespers with the Dominicans more often.
14. Cut loose some clients. I love them all, but I love my family more.
15. Go on monthly date nights with Scott.
16. I still want to run that 10K.
17. Do a better job of planning blog content so I spend more time with the family.
18. Take another photography class.
19. Volunteer with Mobile Loaves & Fishes.
20. Write more handwritten thank you notes.
21. Spend less money. It would probably help if I avoid places like Target, Pottery Barn and The Container Store.
22. Save more for that family trip to Italy.
23. See the Aggies win a national football championship. Hey, a girl can dream, can’t she?
24. Drink more water.
25. Read more about the saints, especially St. Therese, Padre Pio, Frassati and soon-to-be St. John Paul II.
26. Read more with my kids. I’ve got a hankering to read some Harry Potter with the oldest girl in the family.
27. Remember more people’s birthdays.
28. Connect with old friends. When driving through towns, call them up and grab a Dr Pepper.
29. Visit Hawaii. Oh someday, y’all. Someday.
30. Read more books. Period. I used to love that and I’ve forgotten to make time.
31. Take a week off from blogging.
32. Get a pedicure with my girls.
33. Get a pedicure with my husband.
34. Use up all our gift cards.
35. Attend confession once a quarter.
36. Gossip less.
37. Love more.
38. Eat more vegetables. Scott, stop laughing.
39. Be more spontaneous.
And, that’s your top 39!
WOW! That is quite a list, Girlfriend! And I have no doubt you’ll do most of it. My favorite is #12! That will be a great day!!!
I love you… Happy 39th & Beyond!
Happy Birthday!! I hope this year is filled with all the awesomeness you deserve & plenty of fun surprises!
I love the list. #3 and #9 – I’m intrigued – please explain!
I am praying you get to accomplish #12! Oh, and definitely #29!
Happy Birthday! May you have an extraordinary day and awesome year! :o) Thank you for your wonderfully inspiring blog!
I LOVE your list! Kyle and I had a date “day” and I ended up talking him into a pedicure and manicure. (Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone) He LOVED it and it was really a romantic time for us, given we just like spending time together.
I am with you on #23! It’s going to happen one day!!!
Happy birthday sweet friend! I loved every single one of your birthday wishlist items! You are a terrific friend to so many and I’m so glad that social media and cyber space has kept our wonderful years at FFA alive!
I’d love to do #18 with you!!! Gosh I can relate to SO MANY of these! I hear ya screamin’! Keep at the list! I got your back! Love ya! Happy Birthday K!
Fantastic list! Happy Birthday!
Take care & Gig ’em!
What kind of response is “I’m sorry” to someone’s birthday? That’s kinda like saying, “Oh, I’m sorry you have lived too long” in my opinion. No matter the number, it sure beats the alternative to having another birthday…. I’m also a Gemini (and named Catherine!), so I love birthdays and just celebrated my 29th. You have a great list, and I wish you the best in accomplishing it in the coming year. Happy birthday!
[…] Pepper cookies. I’ll give you the 411 next week on all the festivities. I even made a list of 39 things I want to do this year. Wish me luck! It’s possible I was slightly […]
Happy Belated Birthday! I can’t imagine why you feel the need to lose 10 pounds, but all your other goals sound great. I hope you have an awesome year!
[…] last week I celebrated my 39th birthday, and published my now-annual “things I want to do.” There was celebration alright. In fact, I’ve always referred to June as birthday month. […]
If you need a running buddy, I’m your girl. Also, it’s not a 10K but I have a fun, family friendly 5K that we do each year- the Lights of Love 5K benefitting the Ronald McDonald House. Join our team- Caleb’s Army! So much fun, great cause, and good exercise.